VP Middleware Engineer, Group Infrastructure & Platform Services
United Overseas Bank Limited (UOB) is a leading bank in Asia with a global network of more than 500 branches and offices in 19 countries and territories in Asia Pacific, Europe and North America. In Asia, we operate through our head office in Singapore and banking subsidiaries in China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, as well as branches and offices.
Our history spans more than 80 years. Over this time, we have been guided by our values — Honorable, Enterprising, United and Committed. This means we always strive to do what is right, build for the future, work as one team and pursue long-term success. It is how we work, consistently, be it towards the company, our colleagues or our customers.
About the Department
Group Technology and Operations (GTO) provides software and system development, information technology support services and banking operations.
We have centralized and standardized the technology components into Singapore, creating a global footprint which can be utilized for supporting our regional subsidiaries and the branches around the world. We operate and support 19 countries with this architecture to provide a secure and flexible banking infrastructure.
Our Operations divisions provide transactional customer services for our businesses while also focusing on cost efficiency through process improvements, automation and straight through processing.
Functionally reports to the Service Build & Engineering Lead under Group Infrastructure Platform Services, the Platform Engineer (Middleware) will be responsible for ensuring the uptime, performance and compliance of Middleware products such as JBOSS, Websphere and Weblogic in accordance to the bank’s standards. JBOSS is a must-have requirement for this role.
This role will be responsible for the governance/standards of the middleware platform. They will collaborate with Plan, Change and Run teams on top of Application and Development teams on Middleware requirements, standards and the use, optimization and troubleshooting of all features in Middleware and its tools.
This role will evaluate new technology, deliver process innovation and drive continuous improvement initiatives within the Engineering team in areas such as cost savings, technology adoption and operational efficiency.
- Establish standards for design, build and end-to-end management of Middleware products, including but not limited to Architecture, Inventory, License, Provisioning, Compliance, Monitoring, Patch, Upgrade, Troubleshoot and Recovery.
- Responsible for the engineering and product lifecycle management including:
- Evaluation of new technology, management buy-in, creation and execution of new technology adoption plan
- Perform assessments and health checks of existing products and provide best practice recommendation and guidance to Change and Run teams
- Provide L3 support which includes troubleshooting, development of fixes, performance tuning and implementation of changes
- Provide technical assessment and advisory on product design, installation, configuration, including system upgrade and migration
- Work with other technical teams including network or storage engineers and vendors, as necessary, to support system upgrade and maintenance activities
- Ensures products comply to bank standards and security policies
- Develop and maintain technical documentation related to design, configuration, usage, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, etc., for Weblogic, Websphere & JBOSS environments.
- Develop and maintain scripts/tools to manage the Middleware environment
- Participate in internal and external audits
- Provide feedback for continuous improvement of the Engineering team
- Vendor management
- Degree/Diploma in Information Technology/Computer Science or equivalent
- 10 or more years of working experience with JBOSS, Weblogic, Websphere in an enterprise environment
- Qualified candidates will be motivational thought leaders, driven individuals, and possess exceptional business acumen, coupled with strong working knowledge of middleware implementations
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously among changing priorities.
- Works well under pressure and can resolve complex problems.
- Works in a collaborative fashion, elevates team results over individual results.
- Excellent communication skills, presenting, listening and informing. Can communicate up, down and across the organization.
- Experience working in a bank is a plus